great deal of attention should be paid to kitchen because it is here that
the lady of the house spends most of her time. Vaastu Shastra, convenience,
comforts, safety from fire, heat, electric shock, protection from insects,
pests, the need for exhausting smoke, heat, fume and pollution, light
and cross ventilation, all need minute and careful consideration and should
be fully provided for in the kitchen.
kitchen the most ideal place is southeast corner zone which is governed
by Agni -The God for fire and heat. You know that without fire
and heat nothing can be cooked, baked or toasted. The other alternative
is to place kitchen at Northwest corner. This is only a secondary choice.
I can rather say the best out of the worst. Kitchen should not be placed
in North-east, mid-north, mid-west, south-west mid-south or the center.
Similarly it should not be placed below or above bed, pooja or toilet.
1. This should not touch east or north wall, but can touch south or west
2. The platform should be placed along East wall without touching it so
that the person cooking can conveniently face east which is considered
most auspicious and will bring good results.
3. The other option is to place the cooking platform along southern side
wall so that the person cooking can face south and cook. Facing west or
north is not desirable.
4. No shelf or almirah should be placed above the platform. Many of the
fire accidents do happen when the gas, stove or oven cooking range etc..
are on. This should be meticulously avoided. After all safety is first
5. Similarly no exhaust fan should be provided above the platform. Sometimes
the fan falls creating calamity and danger. Exhaust fan above cooking
ovens etc. is technically also incorrect.
6. Cooking platform can be of mosaic with chips, granite, marble, Cuddappa
or kota stone top duly finished and polished. Kitchen cum dinning- In
most of the houses eating is done sometimes in kitchen itself. In such
a case sit out for eating or dinning table should be placed in western
side of the kitchen proper.
7. Exhaust fan should be placed in a suitable place on the wall to exhaust
smoke and bring in fresh air into kitchen. Such exhaust fan should never
be placed above cooking platform.
8. It is advisable to keep the kitchen cross-ventilated by keeping windows
on two opposite sides of the kitchen so that sufficient natural air and
light becomes available to kitchen. Remember not to toast the lady of
the house who bakes and toasts your bread. 9. Fridge, if to be kept in
kitchen, can be placed in North-West.